Winterize your Home
By Stephanie Miller, Marketing Coordinator
It’s about that time of year where we to say good-bye to summer and embrace the fall season. Of course fall in Calgary means expect to see some snowflakes (even as early as this Sunday if the forecast is right!). So now is an excellent time to start getting the exterior of your home ready for the colder season. Here is our go to checklist to help get you started!
- Check the weather-stripping on your doors and windows to ensure it will hold up against the cold weather elements.
- With leaves starting to fall, you should inspect your eavestroughs and downspouts to make sure they're cleared of any blockage.
- Remember to turn off your exterior water tap and drain the tap of any remaining water. This is an important step to ensure that water doesn’t freeze in your pipes. When water freezes in the pipes, it can cause those pipes to split which can cause a leak in the wall each time the tap is then turned on.
- Remove the screen from your hot water tank vent. By doing this, you can decrease the chances of the vent freezing during the colder months, which can cause your hot water tank to stop working.
- Water your trees thoroughly to ensure that your trees have sufficient moisture at their roots for the winter. This will help keep your trees healthy come the spring season.
- Our last go-to-tip is to (unfortunately) be ready for the first snow fall. First you want to be sure to have a shovel on-hand for snow removal. We suggest avoiding shovels that have a metal band underneath, as the band can damage the surface of the concrete.
Enjoy the rest of fall season but remember to prepare your home for the upcoming winter months!
Have a good weekend,