Prepping your Home for Winter
By Stephanie Miller, Marketing Coordinator
Last week we welcomed the start of the fall season. As the colder weather is inevitably on its way, it’s important to ensure that your home is ready for it. So this week we thought we would share our go to checklist to help you keep your home in tip-top shape!
- Check door and window weather stripping to ensure the seal is intact. Having a proper seal around your windows and doors will help keep the warm air inside your home and the cooler air out.
- Inspect eavestroughs and downspouts. Clear them of any debris to avoid blockage.
- Remember to turn off your exterior water tap and drain the tap of any remaining water. This is an important step to ensure that water doesn’t freeze in your pipes. When water freezes in the pipes, it can cause those pipes to split which can cause a leak in the wall each time the tap is then turned on.
- If you have an air conditioner unit, remember to check that your thermostat is now set to ‘heat’.
- Water your trees thoroughly to ensure that your trees have sufficient moisture at their roots for the winter. This will help keep your trees healthy come the spring season.
- Be ready for the snow! It’s inevitable that we’ll have snow in Calgary, so why not be prepared! First you want to be sure to have a shovel on-hand for snow removal. We suggest avoiding shovels that have a metal band underneath, as the band can damage the surface of the concrete. If you live in Calgary, then stop by your local fire department. During the winter months, they provide sand that you can use to help melt the ice on your driveway and walkway!
Another great tool for homeowners is the Alberta New Home Warranty Guide. Cedarglen Homes has been an accredited member of the Alberta New Home Warranty Program for over 27 years. Click here to see their Care and Maintenance Guide which includes a monthly home maintenance checklist.
Have a great weekend,