5 Steps to Winterize the Exterior of your Home
By Stephanie Miller, Marketing Coordinator
Calgary is already experiencing a glimpse of the snowy months to come. So although it may not be winter just yet, now is an excellent time to start getting the exterior of your home ready for the colder season. Here is quick checklist to help you get the exterior of your home ready for the months ahead!
- Remember to turn off your exterior water tap and drain the tap of any remaining water. This is an important step to ensure that water doesn’t freeze in your pipes. When water freezes in the pipes, it can cause those pipes to split which can cause a leak in the wall each time the tap is then turned on.
- If you have an irrigation system, you will want to hire someone to ‘blow out’ all the remaining water in the irrigation pipes. This will help prevent any left over water from freezing.
- Remove the screen from your hot water tank vent. By doing this, you can decrease the chances of the vent freezing during the colder month, which can cause your hot water tank to stop working.
- Water your trees thoroughly to ensure that your trees have sufficient moisture at their roots for the winter. This will help keep your trees healthy come the spring season.
- Be ready for the snow! It’s inevitable that we’ll have snow in Calgary, so why not be prepared! First you want to be sure to have a shovel on-hand for snow removal. We suggest avoiding shovels that have a metal band underneath, as the band can damage the surface of the concrete. If you live in Calgary, then stop by your local fire department. During the winter months, they provide sand that you can use to help melt the ice on your driveway and walkway!
Now that the exterior of your home is ready for the cold months ahead, be sure to enjoy every last minute of our warmer weather while you can!
Have a good weekend,